February 24, 2009

Our Soldier and Amazing Papa

I get home from work Monday and there's a package in my door from Fed-X. I,m on my cell phone with Becky, it's dark outside, my hands are full, I can't read what the package says, so I brought it into the house. I,m telling Becky, "It says it's from Shelly Allen at DFW Airport." My first thought, ~Shelly Allen, that name sounds familiar to me, or does it? Becky said, it doesn't to her.~, Second thought, ~Richie must have left something at the airport in Dallas and they mailed it to our house~ I was wrong on both thoughts. I opened the package and there's a pink blanket, 3 books, two DVD's that he has written "For My Girls, with the date 19, Feb 2009" and a letter from the USO Volunteers. Here's what this amazing husband of mine did... On his way back to Iraq he had a layover at DFW Airport from 9:am to 3:pm. He spent a lot of his time at the USO area because they feed them, make sure they have coffee, juice, tea, water etc..., give them a place to rest and they also provide cell phone's for the soldiers so they can call their families. Well, they (DFW Airport and USO) have an area or room set up called "United Through Reading". I guess they sell books for kids and some miscellaneous items. He bought a Pink Blanket for Sadie and books for Haylee (Horse Heroes-she loves horses), Madyson (Dance at Papa's-she loves to sing and dance) and Jamison (Mama, How Long Will You Love Me?-she's a mama's girl). He also wrote a little message to them in each of their books. Well anyway, they have this room set up with a rocking chair and decorated like a Kingdom with Castles. He sat in the rocking chair and read a little out of each book for the girls plus he had a little personal message to each one about how much he loved them. They recorded it on a DVD and mailed them to our house for the girls. The letter said, "Dear Hero, Today a very special person stopped by the USO at DFW Airport's United Through Reading Room. They picked out a brand new book and made a DVD of themselves reading the book to you." It goes on to say, "We are one of the selected USO sites that offers our service members and their families the wonderful opportunity to read to their 'little heroes'. It was a pleasure to help your special person get this gift to you. If you'd like, send us a picture of you watching the DVD and we'll add it to the bulletin boards that line the entrance of the USO/DFW Reading Room. (Why am I crying???) Amazing Papa isn't he!!!

He loves his "Girls".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is the sweetest thing I've ever read!

The Schuler Family

Established January 2, 1982